Just found out that Rich and Ana are living in Tahoe (actually Incline Village NV), about half way to Morro Bay.
Here's what a visit might look like: 3+visit+4 days
Southbound 3 days down the coast
7h55m 391 miles
Super 8 by Wyndham Eureka, 1304 4th St looks like a cheap bed for the night.
- Highway 99 south 63 miles to Monroe
- right on Territorial Rd in Monroe 1.2 miles to Choshire
- right on Highway 36 8.4 miles to Poodle Creek Rd left
- 6.8 miles to highway 126 right
- 41 miles to south on Highway 101
- 262 miles to the Wyndham Super 8 on 4th St
9h46m 400 miles
- 101 south 15 miles to exit 692 toward Ferndale/Fernbridge
- right on Highway 211 across the Fernbridge
- in Ferndale, a little jog right, then left onto Wildcat Ave / Mattole Rd. to Petrolia
- right on Lincoln St to stay on Mattole Rd.
- at the Honeydew Country Store, turn right onto Wilder Ridge Rd.
- In the town of Redway, turn left on Redwood Dr to get to the southbound entrance of highway 101
- 101 south xx miles to Leggett where you can get on highway 1 / Shoreline Highway south
- just south of Mendocino, across the Big River Bridge then turn left on Comptche Ukiah / Old Springs Rd
- in Ukiah, a brief stretch of 101 south to Ruta Estatalide de California 253 / Boonville Rd
- at the T, turn left onto Highway 128 south xx miles back to 101 south
- in San Rafeal, take the 580 bridge to Richmond
- 580 south to 880 or (see detail below)
- exit 13 to Marin Ave / Buchanan St east to Grizzly Peak Blvd right
- after crossing highway 24, turn left on Skyline Blvd which becomes Pinehurst Rd
- left on Redwood Rd all the way through Hayward to 880 or
- left on Heyer Ave up to Crow Canyon right
- then just before 580 turn left on El Castro Valley Blvd across the freeway
- to a right on Palomares Rd.
- to a right on Niles Canyon
- then left on 238 / Mission Blvd
- to 680 south to Mission Blvd / 262 past Fry's
- and back to 880 south
- 237 west to 85 south to exit 20, W. Fremont Ave
- left then right on South Mary Ave to Visit Mike and Dave (1514 S. Mary)
Option to hop up into the East Bay hills and bypass a bunch of traffic. (10h29m 399 miles, relative to no options it adds 45 minutes but zero distance)
5h25m 217 miles
- 85 south to South De Anza Blvd, 1.3 miles to Pierce Rd.
- Pierce Rd becomes Highway 9, proceed about 12 miles
- Highway 236 through Big Basin, then back to 9
- In Santa Cruz turn left onto Highway 1
- All the way to Main St in Morro Bay
- Right on Dune St to Matt's place, the Morro Bluff Inn
Alternate 4 day southbound route
This route is 4 days southbound through the Sierras with a short last day, good for visiting with Matt.
8h22m 405 miles
6h12m 286 miles
7h4m 303 miles
4h00m 163 miles
Return 3 day route
This is a tough, 3 day return through the Sierras with a brief visit stop to see Rich and Ana in Tahoe.
8h52m 397 miles
7h42m 327 miles
8h42m 424 miles